The foremost challenges facing our students today is social emotional health and awareness. Jewish education has always prioritized inner growth and character building, but our research and experience has shown that this is a skill set that can no longer be taken for granted. For these reasons, the Heart of C.H.I.N.U.C.H., a social-emotional learning (SEL) program, was born.
This program will provide Yeshiva and Day schools with high quality SEL curriculum for grades 1-8, rooted in Torah language and values. The program comes along with tools accrued from the best research in this field, as well as professional development and training for school staff and leadership. Currently in its pilot phase in 7 classrooms throughout the U.S., the complete Heart of C.H.I.N.U.C.H. program will soon be coming to schools near you.
Why SEL and Why Now?
- The Foundation of Jewish Education: Children who are lacking in a social-emotional sphere are compromised in their ability to connect deeply with their Jewish identity.
- A Safe Environment: A school environment where students and staff members are sensitized to social-emotional needs is a safer and more positive environment in which a child can thrive.
- Home and World Influences: We can no longer take for granted that students arrive at school with basic social-emotional competencies already in place. Increased exposure to secular media, technology and information overload, has led to greater anxiety and diminished wholesomeness in children’s lives.
- Existing Programs Not Enough: Many existing programs lack one or more of these elements: a) a proactive, as opposed to reactive, approach to social-emotional health and awareness; b) Torah sources, values and language; c) transfer and lasting impact; and d) consideration of broader school culture.
- Mental Health Hygiene/Prevention: While mental health challenges, currently on the rise, are the domain of mental health professionals, by building emotional health early on in a child’s life we can prevent many of the complications that may take place further down the line.
In year 1, MEF successfully launched and piloted the beginning of the Heart of C.H.I.N.U.C.H. SEL program. After a trial in 2 schools and 2 independent classrooms (a total of 7 classes in grades 1-6), MEF will be expanding the pilot to up to 5 schools and up to 5 independent classrooms, as we concurrently develop a second year of curriculum for this program.
- School leaders: Click here to download the application packet and more details for joining this pilot program in 5783.
- Individual teachers: Click here to download the application packet and more details for joining this pilot program in 5783.
Applications are due by May 23, 2022 – כ”ב אייר, תשפ”ב.